20081203

India's Jewish citizens - world's 'miner's canary' to confront Islamic jihadism

Tense times for Mumbai's Jews from BBC News

Jonathan SolomonWe have been targeted once and the terrorists have succeeded - that makes us vulnerable
Jonathan Solomon,
community elder

The first Jews - B'nai Israel - arrived in India about 2,000 years ago. Later, they arrived from what is now Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and other Arab countries.

In Mumbai, the community has nine synagogues, and runs a number of schools, a prominent community centre and an organisation running vocational courses. Most of the Jews here are employed and a few run small businesses.

The attack on the centre has thrown an unwanted spotlight on the community.

"It does not feel good at all. This was like a bolt out of the blue. I am an Indian first, and I am married to a Indian Hindu. I wear the Star of David, and I have never even thought of hiding it. But suddenly I am feeling conscious that I am wearing it. I am feeling vulnerable," says Reena, who was born in India.

"Indian Jews have never faced anti-Semitism, we have never been persecuted. India and Israel enjoy the best of relations. But I felt hurt by the way the rabbi and his wife were killed. As an Indian I have to be careful of terror attacks anyway. And now it seems as a Jew I have to be doubly careful."

No comments:

Post a Comment